Friday, August 6, 2010

Kekchi 101

I learned a few Kekchi words today. The first is pronounced "SHAT-troo". The word means “Champion” or “Winner.” When I would stand in front of the group of kids, they would say this. Apparently, my quick wit and athletic agility was very clear to the young men in the village. It was clear to them that I was in fact a winner….and until yesterday, it was the only Kekchi word that I had mastered.


The other phrase was a little different. One of the young men taught me a word that made all the boys laugh. If you know me, you know I like to have a good laugh, so I said the word often. After a half hour of me saying the two Kekchi words I knew, one of the boys came very close and said, “Teem, you should not say dis ward any mo. It is not polite.”

Apparently, the boys had taught me the slang word for male body parts. It is funny, somehow I think that is the one Kekchi word that I will remember….I wont ever use it again, but I will remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment